Bite-Sized Brown Butter and Cinnamon Chip Cookies
Yep, another yummy cookie recipe.When it comes to cookies, I really can’t help myself. I probably bake one to two different kinds of cookies a week. And I have tiny mouths that will eat them all.
I adapted this recipe from Baker Bettie, a lovely blog with lots of fun recipes. As usual, I changed a few things about the recipe mainly because I was out of ingredients. Cinnamon chips in place of dark chocolate, and walnuts in place of pecans. From this recipe, I learned how to make oatmeal flour: put oatmeal in a blender and blend until it turns into flour. Easy!
Brown Butter and Cinnamon Chip Cookies
recipe adapted from Baker Bettie
- 1 stick butter
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 T vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2/3 cup oatmeal flour (oats ground to a fine flour in a blender)
- 1 T flax seed meal
- 3/4 cup cinnamon chips (found in the baking aisle by the chocolate chips)
- 1/2 cup walnuts or pecans
- Heat butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Heat until butter melts and becomes an amber color, and gives off a nutty smell. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and beat until well mixed.
- Add baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon and mix until incorporated
- Mix in the flours and flax seed in small batches until a stiff dough forms.
- Fold in cinnamon chips and walnuts.
- Using a teaspoon as your scoop, put your dough an inch apart on your baking sheet. Press dough down a tiny bit, and then bake 5-6 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown.
- Move to a wire rack and let completely cool.
– the Jilb