We love crackers in our house. We could eat them everyday if allowed (and sometimes I allow it). Since we love crackers, I figured it was time to make one of our favorites, Wheat Thins, from scratch.
These turned out great. Just like Wheat Thins, but better! Isn’t everything homemade better?
I do have one complaint abut these. They were gone way too fast. If my little monkeys are around, they’re gone in about 10 minutes if not sooner. I think I’ve found a solution. Only make these at night when the kiddies are asleep.
Homemade Wheat Thins
recipe from Oh She Glows
- 1 & 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 & 1/2 T sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 4 T butter, softened
- 1/4 cup plus 2 T water (and more if needed)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper, and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, salt and paprika. Using a pastry blender or two forks cut the butter into the flour mixture until crumbly. Then add water and vanilla and work into a smooth dough. Add more water if needed.
- Split the dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll out your dough until very, very thin. Using a pizza cutter, cut dough into small squares (or whatever shape you want). Put the crackers on the lined baking sheet. Repeat with other dough.
- Sprinkle more salt over crackers if desired. Bake 8-10 minutes or until crackers are done. You will want to keep a close eye on these. They burn quickly.