I was reminded through a status on Facebook yesterday of how much I love caramel popcorn. (Thanks, Aunt Linda!) So, I had to run and buy popcorn to make it.
Reinman doesn’t usually go for caramel popcorn, but I caught him sneaking bites of mine. Stay away, Reinman!
We took the kids to Target last night to get a few things, and I highly recommend not bringing two-year-old twins to the store. They have these really nice, big carts where you can snap your older kids in, but, of course, the Bear and the Joker had none of that. So, we let them run around the store yelling and screaming. We have become those parents now. It was actually kind of funny. I did manage to get everything I needed for my Halloween costume though. Yahoo!
Back to popcorn. I love this caramel popcorn. It’s my favorite. It’s sweet, but not too sweet. It’s crunchy if you do all the microwave time, but if you want your caramel popcorn less crunchy adjust microwave time. I love that you can make this recipe in the microwave and you don’t have to use your oven at all. Nice.
recipe from Food.com
- Bag of microwave popcorn or 2 quarts plain popped corn
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- peanuts (or other nuts) (optional)
- Prepare popcorn.
- In microwave, melt butter in 2 quart microwave-safe dish, about a minute or so.
- Add sugar and corn syrup, and microwave 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in vanilla and baking soda. Then stir in popcorn. Mix well. Add in nuts.
- Microwave 4-6 minutes, stopping every 2 minutes to stir popcorn.
- Transfer caramel popcorn to tray line with wax or parchment paper. Let cool.
- Break apart, and enjoy!!
– the Jilb