I’ve got a really easy, really tasty breakfast dish for you all: Mixed Berry French Toast Bake.
I found this dish when I was on my Weight Watchers kick. The food blog, Emily Bites, has a ton of Weight Watcher friendly food and while it’s considered “diet” food, it definitely doesn’t taste like it.
The berries give this french toast bake enough sweetness that you don’t have to add any syrup (but I won’t tell if you do. hehe). You can prepare this dish the night before and pop it in the oven the next morning. I love when you can do this! I love waking up in the morning and all I have to do is throw something in the oven. Easy.
Give this recipe a try. It won’t disappoint, I promise!
Mixed Berry French Toast Bake
- 1 loaf french bread, cubed
- 6 egg whites
- 3 eggs
- 1 & 3/4 cup skim milk
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 pkg (12 oz) frozen unsweetened mixed berries (you could substitute fresh)
- 2 T cold butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- Grease a 9×13 pan with a non-stick spray, and fill with bread cubes.
- In a large bowl, combine your egg whites, eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and salt until mixed well. Pour egg mixture evenly over bread cubes. Cover dish with aluminum foil and let refrigerate overnight or for 8 hours.
- Remove the frozen berries from freezer 30 minutes before baking to let them defrost. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove the baking dish from fridge, and bake covered for 30 minutes.
- Put the brown sugar in a bowl with the cold butter. Using two knives, cut butter into brown sugar until you get coarse crumbs. When the baking dish comes out of the oven, put the berries and the brown sugar/butter mix on top of the french toast bake, and then put back in oven, uncovered, for 15-20 more minutes.
– the Jilb