This dinner was the by far one of the best things I’ve made lately. And it’s so easy to make, which is a huge plus when you have four little kids running around wanting your attention.
You throw some frozen chicken breasts in a crock pot. Then you season it with salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. After that’s cooked you make a little honey lime sauce and let the chicken cook in it for awhile. Then you make up your rice, bake it for an hour, and dinner is served! Did I mention how easy this recipe is?
I know I’ll be making this chicken weekly. In fact, I really want it now. Right. Now.
The cayenne gives the chicken a little heat, and the honey gives the chicken just the littlest bit of sweetness. And the lime. Oh, the lime. I love lime! The cilantro is the icing on the cake. Seriously.
Honey Lime Chicken with Baked Brown Rice
- 4 chicken breasts (mine were medium-sized)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 T honey
- juice and zest of one lime
- 1 & 1/2 cups brown rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 & 1/2 cups chicken broth (you could do all water or all chicken broth too if you wanted)
- 1 T butter
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Season your chicken breasts with salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Cook on low in a crock pot until done 6-8 hours (I did the crock pot method because it’s easiest for me. But you also could marinate your chicken the night before in the salt, pepper, cayenne, honey, lime, and some olive oil and then throw it on the grill. I can’t wait to try it this way!)
- When your chicken is done mix your honey, lime juice, and zest in a small bowl. Mix that in with your chicken, and then I like to leave that in the crockpot on low or warm for a half hour or so to let the chicken marinate.
- To start your rice, preheat your oven to 375 degrees, and pour your rice in an 8-inch glass dish.
- Bring water, chicken broth, butter, and salt to a boil in a saucepan. Once boiling, pour the chicken broth mixture over the rice, stir to combine, and cover baking dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake for one hour. Then remove foil and fluff rice.
- Mix your chicken in with your rice, and sprinkle the cilantro on top.