I don’t have much to say about this recipe except that it’s awesome! And easy! Yes, it must be easy or at least worth the effort. And this was worth 8 minutes of kneading.
These pretzels have everything you could ever want in a giant pretzel: soft, chewy, salty, and cheesy (if you like that sort of thing.)
So, make them. Today. I’m sure you have everything in your cupboard.
Homemade Soft Pretzels
recipe courtesy of Confessions of a Bright-Eyed Baker
- 1 & 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 T granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 & 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 4 & 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, melted, slightly cooled
- olive oil, for oiling bowl
- 10 cups of water (for dunking)
- 2/3 cup baking soda
- 1 egg yolk (for glaze)
- 1 T water
- kosher salt (optional)
- shredded cheese (optional)
- Combine water, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Sprinkle yeast over water mixture and let sit 5 minutes until yeast mixture is foamy.
- Then add in flour and butter and mix until just combined. Knead dough for 8-10 minutes by hand until dough is smooth and elastic or 4-5 minutes using a stand mixer.
- Using olive oil, oil a large bowl, and stick your dough in it. Cover with plastic wrap, and let sit in a warm place for an hour until dough has doubled. I turned my oven on to its lowest setting, put the dough in it, and shut oven off and let the dough sit in there for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Bring the water and baking soda to a bowl on your stove.
- Take out three baking sheets and put parchment paper on all three. Set aside two sheets for baking, and put your dough on the third one. Divide dough into 8 balls, and then roll each ball out into a 2 foot long rope. Make a U with rope, and cross the ends over each other. Press ends into the U to make it stick. Return to the third baking sheet.
- Once you have formed all of the pretzels, drop each one at a time in the boiling baking soda water for 30 seconds. Then place on the two baking sheets designated for baking.
- Beat your egg yolk in a small bowl, and add a tablespoon of water. Brush egg mixture of tops of pretzels. Now, you can add whatever toppings you wish: salt, cheese, or whatever else your heart desires. I shredded some sharp cheddar and did half my pretzels with that and half with kosher salt. The kids really loved the cheddar pretzels.
- Bake the pretzels for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown.
– the Jilb